re: My doc says condoms don't work

Dear Dr. Bob,

I confronted my MD friend after receiving your reply about the effectiveness of latex condoms for hiv prevention and he then told me that most Drs. overlook the possibility of hiv entering the body through microscopic tears/abrasions at the base of the penis during intercourse. He even mentioned that the condom itself rubbing back and forth at the base can even contribute to the microscopic abrasions on the skin at the base of the penis, which can hiv to enter your body. I am unsure about safer sex.

Please clarify this for me Dr. Bob.

Thank you,

Mat

Hi Mat,

Where did that guy get his medical license? A mail order catalogue? Mat, don't be unsure about safer sex. It's been proven effective for 2 decades. But do be unsure (very unsure) about your doctor's advice. If I were you, I'd confront him only one more time -- to ask for my medical records while getting the hell out of his office.

Stay safe; stay well; find a physician who believes in science more than science fiction.

I Need a Woo Hoo Vacation
You kept me sane!