ARS symptoms? help! donation donation donation

Hi

first I want to say that you totally rock, you are a real inspiration in so many ways, it's like I've found a friend and a role model all at once! Even if I do test positive you are a big example of how to live.

I am about to get myself tested, the window period having elapsed, and naturally my life has been utter hell for a long time. I had unprotected sex out of sheer idiocy with a suspicious person (who claims she has always used condoms in her chosen profession and been tested regularly, always negative). Naturally, the fact that we had unprotected sex gives pause. But that 's just a big unknown.

Anyway, thereafter, I'm not sure when, I commenced to freaking out and began fact checking on the web. I should point out that I was frreaking out about a lot of other things too, feeling shame, fear etc. and smoking a lot. anyways...

I know my odds, thanks to you guys, but I have other questions before I go in for testing, just wanting some reason to feel some hope,face the music, if you could help I promise a donation.

My symptoms for a two month or so period beginning an unknown time thereafter were mild night sweats (never actually soaking through my clothing). At the end of this period, or near it, I had a bad spell of this on the plane home, with a massive 12 hour jet lag i was feeling pretty tired too, and at that point my eyes teared up and I developed something which is a lot like pink eye, and is damned fucking persistent. I also have a whitish tongue but that comes and goes. The night sweats are long gone. Knowing that seroconversion symptoms are variable, I ask anyway, does this sound like them? Could the pink eye eye tearing etc... be symptoms of an early post seroconversion symptom of the progression of the disease.

I know that I have to get tested, and I am getting ready to do that, and I know my odds too. That helps. But I am terrified and I keep finding reasons to put it off. Help?!!!

Terrified and alone in the Great white north

Hello Terrified and Alone in the Great White North,

First off, I agree with being suspicious of that "suspicious person" who claims she always uses condoms, but then decides to take you for a wild ride before you're properly dressed for the occasion! OK, I agree that was a mistake. Your second mistake was checking the Web and "freaking out." Third mistake --- smoking.

So, on to your question. What are your odds? Well, we know that the estimated per episode odds of HIV transmission for the receptive partner for unprotected vaginal sex with a partner who is confirmed to be HIV-positive is 0.1 0.2 per-cent. Your odds-risk would be less than that, because you were the insertive, rather than receptive, partner, -- and we don't know for certain the status of that shady lady from Shady Lane. You probably have read that risk statistic in previous posts, right? Well, the odds haven't changed!

Now for your symptoms -- no, mild night sweats, jet lag (even "massive jet lag"), tearing eyes, pink eye, and a whitish tongue that comes and goes (that sounds as though your whole tongue was appearing and disappearing!) are not "early post-seroconversion symptoms." They are classic symptoms of an excessively worried guy spending too much time on the Net chasing down an illness he most likely does not have.

So what to do?

1.Stop freaking (or "frreaking") out. You see the odds are all in your favor. 2.Stop smoking. That really will kill you. 3.Stop procrastinating, turn off the computer, and go get tested. 4.Once you've "faced the music," I'm quite sure you'll soon be "whistling a happy tune." 5.Didn't you read #3 above? I said stop procrastinating and go get tested. So what are you still doing sitting there reading this? Get going!

please dr bob I know u r too busy but u could b saving a life please answewr me
The only questions you answer are easy ones....