HUGE WOOHOO!!! PLEASE POST!

Hello Dr. Bob,

Today is a wonderful day for me. After five months and two weeks of being extremely worried-well I finally got up the courage to test. I had an ElLISA 1 and 2 done at our local clinic and reults came back negative!!!! Through the last 5 months I signed on this site almost everyday. I read just about all of your responses, Dr. Bob, and I have to say you have become a good friend of mine. I can not thank you enough for your care and guidance. Here is my story.

I am a 32 year old American expat living in Shanghai, China. After my first year my wife and I decided to divorce and unfortunately things got a little crazy. Many drunken nights were followed by late night prostitutes receiving invitations to my home. I practiced safe sex about 80 of the time.... very dangerous indeed.

In January I had a negative ELISA after several unsafe episodes. Then after just a few months of keeping my head on straight I did it again, this time unprotected anal sex with a seasoned veteran.

Five weeks after the event the symptoms came charging into to my life. Sore throat, sore muscles, headaches, several days with mild to moderate fever, diarhea and I think I even had swollen lymphnodes. I was certain (although you tell us never to self diagnose) that I was HIV +. Everyday was full of worry. I kept poking my armpits, taking my temp, feeling sorry, guilty, angry, frustrated... all of the above.

Then the amazing happened... I met someone beautiful and wonderful and fell in love. She literally stole my heart and I knew I had to test... now not only for myself, but for her as well. Somehow, someway, I got the courage to go to our local clinic and get it done. I was so fricken nervous in there... the wait, the agony, telling myself I could handle it if it came back positive. I was certain it would. To my wonderful surprise and amazement it came back negative.

I have been WOOHOOing since 10 AM this morning!!!!!

I want to thank you, Dr. Bob for your wonderful support and guidance. Reading your postings convinced me, and in many ways gave me the strength to test. Now I can move on with my life. I am addressing the underlying reasons as to why I drink it up and then wip it out. We have a good counselor over here who is helping a lot.

Best of Luck to you and Steve. My warmest thanks to you for educating all of us on prevention measures against this horrid disease.

Sincerely,

DBFC

P.S. I am flying back in a few days for a two week vacation. I'll be passing through San Francisco airport. If you happened to be there I'll buy you a pint or two! Take care of your pooch. I brought two with me from the US.

Congratulations! WOO-HOO!

QUESTION FROM AFRICA
Oral Sex, PEP and testing