Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HUGE WOOHOO!!! PLEASE POST!
Oct 10, 2003

Hello Dr. Bob,

Today is a wonderful day for me. After five months and two weeks of being extremely worried-well I finally got up the courage to test. I had an ElLISA 1 and 2 done at our local clinic and reults came back negative!!!! Through the last 5 months I signed on this site almost everyday. I read just about all of your responses, Dr. Bob, and I have to say you have become a good friend of mine. I can not thank you enough for your care and guidance. Here is my story.

I am a 32 year old American expat living in Shanghai, China. After my first year my wife and I decided to divorce and unfortunately things got a little crazy. Many drunken nights were followed by late night prostitutes receiving invitations to my home. I practiced safe sex about 80 of the time.... very dangerous indeed.

In January I had a negative ELISA after several unsafe episodes. Then after just a few months of keeping my head on straight I did it again, this time unprotected anal sex with a seasoned veteran.

Five weeks after the event the symptoms came charging into to my life. Sore throat, sore muscles, headaches, several days with mild to moderate fever, diarhea and I think I even had swollen lymphnodes. I was certain (although you tell us never to self diagnose) that I was HIV +. Everyday was full of worry. I kept poking my armpits, taking my temp, feeling sorry, guilty, angry, frustrated... all of the above.

Then the amazing happened... I met someone beautiful and wonderful and fell in love. She literally stole my heart and I knew I had to test... now not only for myself, but for her as well. Somehow, someway, I got the courage to go to our local clinic and get it done. I was so fricken nervous in there... the wait, the agony, telling myself I could handle it if it came back positive. I was certain it would. To my wonderful surprise and amazement it came back negative.

I have been WOOHOOing since 10 AM this morning!!!!!

I want to thank you, Dr. Bob for your wonderful support and guidance. Reading your postings convinced me, and in many ways gave me the strength to test. Now I can move on with my life. I am addressing the underlying reasons as to why I drink it up and then wip it out. We have a good counselor over here who is helping a lot.

Best of Luck to you and Steve. My warmest thanks to you for educating all of us on prevention measures against this horrid disease.

Sincerely,

DBFC

P.S. I am flying back in a few days for a two week vacation. I'll be passing through San Francisco airport. If you happened to be there I'll buy you a pint or two! Take care of your pooch. I brought two with me from the US.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Congratulations! WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
QUESTION FROM AFRICA
Next
Oral Sex, PEP and testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.