HIV transmission through HPV?

Hi Dr Bob, I'm a LTRFTW (long time reader, first time writer and soforth) I've got a question about HIV and HPV.

I had a couple rounds of protected vaginal sex with a girl one night of undisclosed HIV status. The condoms did not break both times, but about 5 months later, I learned I had HPV. It sucked for a while, but I'm getting over it :\

My question is this: I've read that having one STD (such as HPV I'm assuming) increases your risk of contracting HIV. Is it possible to contract HIV through HPV? I've been told by my doctor that HPV can get through condoms, and I've been wondering whether HIV can take advantage of the fact that I have HPV in transmission.

-Worried with warts

Hello Worried with Warts,

No, HPV cannot get through condoms. HPV is spread via skin-to-skin contact or contact with warts.

Warts, when present, may provide an entry point for HIV to enter the body. Studies have shown an increased rate of HIV infection for people with anal or genital warts who have unprotected anal sex. HPV is one of the most common STD's and quite easy to transmit or contract. HIV is much less contagious.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

Hypothyroidism and HIV Testing - Please respond
THe best thing you did was not answer