Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV transmission through HPV?
Oct 10, 2003

Hi Dr Bob, I'm a LTRFTW (long time reader, first time writer and soforth) I've got a question about HIV and HPV.

I had a couple rounds of protected vaginal sex with a girl one night of undisclosed HIV status. The condoms did not break both times, but about 5 months later, I learned I had HPV. It sucked for a while, but I'm getting over it :\

My question is this: I've read that having one STD (such as HPV I'm assuming) increases your risk of contracting HIV. Is it possible to contract HIV through HPV? I've been told by my doctor that HPV can get through condoms, and I've been wondering whether HIV can take advantage of the fact that I have HPV in transmission.

-Worried with warts

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried with Warts,

No, HPV cannot get through condoms. HPV is spread via skin-to-skin contact or contact with warts.

Warts, when present, may provide an entry point for HIV to enter the body. Studies have shown an increased rate of HIV infection for people with anal or genital warts who have unprotected anal sex. HPV is one of the most common STD's and quite easy to transmit or contract. HIV is much less contagious.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hypothyroidism and HIV Testing - Please respond
Next
THe best thing you did was not answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.