Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Safe ways of having unprotected sex preventing transmission
Oct 8, 2003

Hi Dr. Frascino, I have a question for you. Is it true that having unprotected sex in the shower (hot water running) and using soap helps decrease the risk of transmitting HIV. I am the top in our relationship and want to know if HIV is hard to transmit in hot water and when using soap. I know essentially safe sex is always a must but I have topped my partner before without the use of condom in the shower and wanted to inquire if such activity is a very risky behavior and to what level of risk. Thanks for your time in answering my inquiry.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Well, shower sex can be hot, but without a condom, it is not safe. In fact, unprotected sex in the shower is no less risky than unprotected sex in other locations bedroom, dining room table, backseat of your car, airplane bathrooms at 33,000 feet, on your jealous boyfriend's desk at work . . . OK, maybe that last one is more risky than the others, but not because of possible HIV transmission!

Unprotected sex (with or without the sudsy water) is a risk for STD's, including HIV. Testing 3 months after your last "rub-a-dub-dub" shower sex-capade would be recommended.

Stay safe (even in the shower) and stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Does anyone test positive?
Next
HIV & Analingus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.