Does anyone test positive?

Hi Bob, About 4 months ago I had sex with a woman of unknown HIV status, and the condom broke... I'm freaking out, my test results should (SHOULD!) be back on Wed. of this week...

I know that stacially the "per-exposure" risk is supposed to be like, 0.1 to 3 percent... Well ok...

My question is, does anybody write to you to say they tested positive? I mean, all the negative results posted on the forum are very encouraging, but I mean, someone has to be testing positive out there...

I'd just like an answer to a question it seems no other doctor will answer for me. What would you say is the percentage of patients tested that actually test positive... I probably didn't word that very well because I am truly FREAKING out... I'm so incredibly stressed out right now, only 2 days to go...

I think that regardless of my test results, I'm going to donate something to some AIDS concerned charity... Possibly even yours. Be it time, or money. (Guarantee it'll be money to yours, as I live in Ontario Canada...)

Please let me know, Thanks, worried (well?)

Yes, folks really do test positive me, for instance.

The reason you don't see a lot of HIV-positive folks in this forum is that . . . can you guess??? . . . Yep, that's right! This is a "safe-sex and HIV prevention forum." Hence, if someone does test positive, they would most likely write in to one of our other forums dedicated to specific topics, such as starting treatment, side effects, fatigue, etc. If you want to read about HIV-positive questioners' concerns, just click on to one of those forums.

No, no one can give you the "percentage" number you ask for, because that number would be impossible to calculate. For instance, if you wanted to know how many people who go for the test turn up positive, would you count folks who go in 4 or 5 times? Also, what about folks going to an HIV-testing center in NYC or San Francisco compared to Fargo? Etc., etc., etc. I think you can see the problems involved, right?

Good luck with your test! We'll all be sending you loads of good karma!

Thank You
Safe ways of having unprotected sex preventing transmission