Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is an Antibody Test accurate 5 years after exposure?
Oct 6, 2003

Almost five years ago(Oct 1998) I had a one time unprotected receptive vaginal encounter with someone who I was later told was HIV+ but never had actually had confirmation from him. It took me 4 1/2 years to finally get a test because I was too scared.

In May of 2003 I finally got the nerve to get tested. I went to a local Planned Parenthood here in MA and it came back negative. I was told that no further testing needed to be done because my exposure was so long ago. I was also told that the MA state lab had the top of the line HIV testing resources. Just to be sure I took a Home Access test in August of 2003 and that also came back negative.

My main issue now is that I am reading that blood tests loose their validity after a couple of years of the primary exposure and that many people who test negative can really be positive because the antibodies aren't that strong. What is the real truth in that and should I test again? I want to put this past me, but how can if this is true?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You heard that HIV blood tests loose their validity after a couple years? Where did you hear that nonsense? Certainly not here or on any scientifically valid HIV information website. No, my dear, HIV tests do not loose their validity with time. They wouldn't be very good tests if that were the case now would they? Your results are absolutely definitive. You are HIV-negative. Shout, "WOO-HOO!" Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Yo Dr. Bob! Mo's Got Bad News
Next
CDC says anal warts and oral sex mean HIV. PLEASE HELP DR. BOB!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.