Dr. Bob! Is my preacher correct?

Ok. My youth pastor said there were a million straight men who got it from women in the U.S. spreading HIV on purpose. He also said condoms against HIV were like throwing a golf ball through a volleyball net. Also he said negative tests mean nothing. A month or so ago I had unprotected sex several times with my girlfriend, and we both got tested. We were both negative. My pastor has scared me crazy by saying that the tests are inaccurate and that if she had sex in the last 6 months my tests were meaningless, and it was probable she slept with an infected person. I love her and I just want to know from a professional if he is right. He told our whole youth group these things. BTW, Thank you for being there for all of us. You are a superhero to me. Afraid in Alabama

Your youth pastor told you:

1."A million straight men got HIV from women in the US spreading HIV on purpose."

2."Condoms against HIV are like throwing golf balls through a volleyball net.

3."Negative tests mean nothing."

That's really quite shocking. I see that you are from Alabama. Let me guess: Your youth pastor was one of those wing-nut Bible thumpers demonstrating in front of the courthouse a few weeks ago (perhaps carrying a cross and wearing a confederate flag), demanding the monument bearing the 10 commandments remain at the courthouse, right?

I'm sure your youth pastor means well, but in this case, he's wrong dead wrong and quite dangerous. Absolutely none of what he told you has any scientific basis what so ever and if he's in charge of teaching youth, someone should advise him of this immediately. It's morally unconscionable for him to spread such blatant rubbish. He certainly is free to "believe" whatever he likes, but to tell lies to youth is beyond irresponsible. By spreading this misinformation, he could make people believe that condoms are not protective against HIV, and thus someone might decide to not bother using them. This would place those people at considerable and completely unnecessary risk. If even one person becomes infected because of his lies, it is a true tragedy. Although (hopefully) unintentional, it is misinformation like that being propagated by your pastor that is partly to blame for the HIV epidemic continuing to spin wildly out of control.

Spread the truth to the members of your youth group. Have them sign on to this site if they have questions or concerns. It might not be a bad idea to circulate copies of this post. Send one to the preacher (anonymously) just to let him know how irresponsible his actions are. I would be delighted to talk with this confused guy.

Finally:

1.No, a million straight men have not gotten HIV from women in the US purposely spreading the disease. This is a lie.

2.Latex condoms properly used are protective against HIV. The golf ball/volleyball net analogy is a lie.

3.Negative tests taken at the appropriate time are definitive. To say they mean nothing is a lie.

Since both you and your girlfriend tested negative, you almost certainly are not HIV-infected. There is an extremely small chance that one or both of you could have been in the window period during which time HIV testing is not considered to be definitive. Repeating your test 3 months after your last possible exposure would eliminate this minute possibility. Use condoms for sex in the future to stay safe, avoid unwanted pregnancies, and prevent future worries.

Let's hope your pastor becomes enlightened to reality before he harms someone.

Your youth pastor told you:

3."Negative tests mean nothing."

Finally:

Scared Witless
Virus in Urine?