Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Consecutive Indeterminate WB Results
Oct 3, 2003

In 1995 I received a letter from the Red Cross and my blood tested Positive for HIV in the ELISA and Indeterminate during the WB test. Now 8 years later I have been retested and the results are exactly the same. Should I be considered HIV Negative or Positive? What have been some reasons for indeterminate results in previous subjects? I have never been in any of the risk categories, so should I be concerned? My current doctor is going to have RNA tests performed to find out whether the virus is present or not. Is the RNA test accurate?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I would suggest a qualitative DNA PCR test to detect cell-associated proviral DNA as a definitive test in your situation of indeterminate Western Blots. Because your results have remained constant for 8 years, you are most likely not HIV-infected, particularly because you state there has been no risk. The DNA-PCR has a sensitivity of greater than 99% and a specificity of 98%. Indeterminate Western Blots can occur in 4-20% of people with positive bands for HIV-1 proteins. The causes include:

1. Acute seroconversion. Anti-P24 is usually the first antibody to appear. This would not apply to your case, as results have been the same for 8 years. 2. Cross-reacting nonspecific antibodies, as seen with collagen-vascular disease, autoimmune disease, lymphoma, liver disease, injection drug use, multiple sclerosis, parity (childbirth), or recent immunizations. 3. Infection with O strain or HIV-2. 4. HIV vaccine recipients. 5. Technical or clerical error.

The most important factor in evaluating indeterminate results is risk assessment. Folks in low-risk categories with indeterminate tests are almost never infected with HIV-1 or HIV-2. Repeat testing often continues to show indeterminacy. The viral detection (PCR) test should give you a definitive result which, based on what you have told me and your 2 tests 8 years apart, will most likely be negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I bet you don't know answer to this one Bob
Next
I swalloed it! Now what?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.