PEP in acute infection

Hello, First off, I would like to say what a great forum this is to people who are infected, and who are worried well! My quesion, is related to PEP. In your opinion, when is this therapy considered not to be effective. For example, an exposure that occured a month ago, would this person be a candidate for PEP therapy? Your reply would be gratly appriciated!!!!!!!!!!

Worried well (hopefully!)

Thanks, I'm glad you find the forum informative.

No one knows the exact answer to your question; however, a month is definitely way too long. PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is given to try to prevent infection. Current studies and guidelines indicate it should be started as soon as possible after a significant potential exposure, such as unprotected receptive vaginal or anal sex with a confirmed HIV-positive partner, and no later than 72 hours, to have the best chance of preventing viral transmission.

hey Doc Bob! Better than 1 in 909,000
can you contract aids while wearing a condom