Does Saliva Really Kill HIV? CDC hotline is confusing me! PLEASE PLEASE DR. BOB

Dr. Bob:

ive read many of your postings which have been extremely helpful and educational. i was struck by two postings that discussed exposure to pre-cum when performing oral sex, and that there are chemicals in saliva that can kill hiv. now i know that pre-cum contains a much lesser quantity of HIV than ejaculate. is that why it seems that you have described performing oral sex without ejaculate or minor exposure to precum as "almost off the radar screen?" i am just very unclear and the CDC hotline told me that the protein in the saliva would only help to neutralize HIV if the performer was infected and there was blood in the mouth. then another counselor said that it helps to attach to the host cells and that woudl help reduce transmission odds for the performer.

please help me on this one! there's just so much info on this and im not sure how reliable the CDC hotline is now. i trust your expertise highly, and i love your humor!

you're the greatest man!

-Salivating with anticipation

My claims about extremely low HIV transmission risk are based on the results of recently reported scientific epidemiological studies. Yes, we know there are components in saliva that tend to inhibit HIV, but we do not yet clearly understand the mechanism.

Now wipe the drool from your chin and stop worrying. We promise to spit-out any and all know information we discover on the exact anti-HIV mechanisms of silva as soon as that information is available. OK?

From a Republican
Question on Donation