Heh Studmuffin! Help me out! Duration of Acute HIV infection.

Hi Dr.Bob! Thank you so much for all you do for all the worried folks out here. You serve as an inspiration for us all. My story-9 weeks ago I had a possible exposure, insertive vaginal sex with a sex worker and the condom slipped off on withdrawal. One week later I got a sore throat along with swollen tonsils and enlarged lymph nodes in my throat. I went to my doctor one week after onset of symptoms and he tested for strep which was negative. A week later, three weeks after posible exposure, I went to an STI clinic and and was tested for HIV (EIA)and a variety of STI's. All tests returned negative results. Now I am at nine weeks from possible exposure and I still have a sore throat with some lymph node swelling both in my neck and armpits (at least on one side). My question-Should I continue to sweat out to the 12 weeks for a difinative test or run screaming to a local HIV specialist and between sobs spill out my story and beg for his help? Contribution to follow.

A condom slipping off on withdrawal should not place you at significant risk for HIV. An isolated sore throat and possible swollen glands in your neck and one armpit is not suggestive of HIV ARS. So minimal (if any) exposure plus symptoms, which are not suggestive of ARS, should not cause you to run screaming to a local HIV specialist or sob with worry. The odds are all in your favor for not having contracted the virus. Relax. Try not to worry. Get your 3-month test. See the negative results. Then start running and screaming YAB-BA-DAB-BA-DOOOOO! Then write back to Dr. Studmuffin and tell him all about it, OK?

It's Donation Time!
I Can't Find The Answer Anywhere!