RECALLING DR. BOB, RECALLING DR. BOB

Dr. Bob,

Only kidding bout the recall, you are still the man. Got a little issue with you, however.

In a recent question, you stated that insertive oral sex could not be called 100 safe because of theoretical risks, extenuating circumstances and possible case reports. If that is the case, is anything, even kissing, 100 safe?

I guess I look at it like this. In the 20 years of this horrible disease, the CDC has not been able to document one case of insertive oral sex transmission. I think they have actually documented one case, dubious as it may be, of transmission by kissing. Using that info, could one not say that kissing is more dangerous? My, albeit limited, understanding of HIV transmission is that a person must come into contact with blood or sexual fluids. I can see conceivably a situation in which blood is present, but I think most people would notice that. I think in your response you mentioned horror film type bleeding.

Maybe I am trying to calm myself down, as my exposure is insertive oral sex, mutual masturbation/handjob. If we continue to say that it is not risk free, after 20 years of no occurances, can we really say anything is risk free? Just because a mosquito bite has not infected someone, is there not still a theoretical possiblity?

I don't even know if I have asked you a question in all this! But I am curious if your hesitancy is based on a real concern, or a tendency by any doctor to never say 100?

Please don't take this as a criticism, at all. It is more of me trying to feel better about my situation. You are still the man and if California allowed write-ins, I think you would be a shoo-in!

Stay well and Thanks!

It would perhaps be easier if we lived in a black and white world, but we don't. Let me ask you this: Is it 100 percent safe to walk outside, when it's raining, to an Arnold Schwarzenegger for Governor rally? What about the chance a lightening bolt might zap you right in the butt and kill you dead in your tracks? See what I mean? First off, it's extremely unlikely you'd be so unlucky to be butt-zapped by lightening, and even more unlikely you'd ever attend a Schwarzenegger for Governor rally. Right? But can I say it's 100 percent impossible? Nope. It remains a theoretical possibility based on rare extenuating circumstances. Hope that puts things in perspective.

WHY do guys want oral sex?
Condoms and X-rays/ magnetic fields.