oral sex, thebody.org & the CDC

Dr. Bob,

I would greatly appreciate your input regarding my situation. About 5 weeks ago, I both received and performed unprotected oral sex on a professional escort. I know this was stupid, but my better judgement was impaired by alcohol. It was also the first (and definitely the last) time I've put myself at this kind of risk. Several days after the episode I developed a burning sensation in my throat, and about 4 weeks later I began having night sweats. I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor examined me, but did not perform any tests. He did, however, put me on antibiotics for possible gonorrhea of the throat. After 3 days on the antibiotics, my throat is better and the night sweats have subsided. However, during the course of all of this, I became very stressed and anxious and begin reviewing everything I could find on the internet regarding HIV and oral sex, which led me to your website. After reviewing the archives on this topic on your website, my anxiety began to ease somewhat, as you indicate that the possibilty of contracting HIV through oral sex is very low. I then contacted the CDC infomration hotline for additional information, and the counselor I spoke with was much more dire in her response than the posts I have seen on your website, so now my anxiety level has risen again. I fully intend to get tested at the three month period, but have 7 weeks to go. Are you aware of any of the posters to your website who have actually contracted HIV through oral sex? Also, most of the information I have been able to gather regarding night sweats indicates this is usually associated with HIV. Are there other possible causes for the night sweats?Any input from you would be greatly appreciated as I wait for the 3 month test period to arrive.

Thanks more than you can know!

Hopefully Just A Worried Well

Sorry the CDC person scared you. She or he should find another job maybe talking about the economy and our looming deficit ---then his or her dire attitude would be more appropriate.

Am I aware of any of the posters to my websites who have actually contracted HIV through oral sex? No, absolutely not!

Night sweats are related to about a gazillion medical conditions aside from HIV.

The odds of your testing negative at 3 months are astronomically in your favor. Once you get your results back, call the CDC again and see if you can educate that sourpuss about the facts.

I'll be waiting for your Yabadabadoo in a few weeks.

caught HIV through oral and no one beleives me!
thanks for the answer