The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

no longer curious

Sep 3, 2003

Dear Dr. Frascino, I am a 34 year old married female that WAS very curious about "being" with another female. So...with my husband's knowledge, I ended my curiousity. During the encounter, she and I both participated in giving and receiving oral sex. I have since read about female to female transmission and any listing I could find on the "cunnilingus" and Hiv dangers. Two weeks after the encounter I acquired a yeast infection -- took medicine for it, had a fever for one day along with body aches, and headache. Two weeks later I had a sore throat that lasted about one month, and lastly a terrible recurring headache along with neck pain that lasted 3 to 4 weeks. I took a Home Access Test 3 months after the encounter and it returned Negative. I still am not 100 sure and I spend my day thinking about HIV. I need to know if I need another test at 6 months or not. My nerves are shot! Please let me know what I should do. Sincerely and may God bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello No Longer Curious,

Oral sex does carry some risk for STD's; however, the HIV transmission risk is extremely minimal. Your symptoms are not consistent with ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). Do you need to wait 6 months for a conclusive HIV test? No, you do not. Any FDA-approved antibody test at 3 months would give a definitive result.

In conclusion, your risk was extremely low; your 3-month test is negative. So, what should you do? I suggest you WOO-HOO! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

First, kudos to you...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint