Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob, Please answer. I'm scared! Please provide donation address.
Aug 26, 2003

Dr. Bob,

You are a saint in this scary world of HIV! This question may sound stupid, but it has me scared sick! I can't eat, I feel nauseous, and I can't make love to my wife.

My friends and I were in a bar and the waitress was spitting sugary liquor shots into our mouths. Considering the worst case scenario, what is the potential for HIV exposure in this situation? I'm making myself sick over this! I'm married and would kill myself if I brought this disease home to my wife. Should I get tested? This has been my only risky activity.

Why is HIV prevention not taught in great detail in schools? It would greatly reduce a lot of fears and prevent some people's not-so-safe sex practices.

Why is HIV testing not routine in hospitals? I thing it would get a greater handle on things.

Please provide your donation address. I don't have a lot of money, but even if my world is not affected by HIV (although at this point it is) I would like to help others who's lives are. I do know someone with HIV and I see how devistating it is.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You feel nauseous? Well, the visual image I'm presently having of a waitress spitting sugary liquor shots into your mouth isn't exactly stimulating my appetite either. What happened? Did the bar run out of shot glasses? Or maybe drinks are cheaper when they don't have to use a glass? OK, let's move on to your question. Is this a risky activity? No, there is no risk of HIV transmission from SSS (sugary shot spitting).

Why is HIV prevention not taught properly in schools? Ask "W" and the puritanical pundits he has writing school curricula. Many high schools won't even let me in to give a lecture demonstrating proper condom use on a banana!

HIV testing is indeed available at hospitals. If and when it's utilized is another story.

Thanks for your donation! The Foundation address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Dr., Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral sex w/ an HIV postive man
Next
Hello Gracious One

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.