The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what specialist do you recommend??????

Aug 25, 2003

Dr. Bob,

Very important question. I'm wondering what specialist you recommend for getting an hiv test? I wish also to get a PCR test and a special test possibly for hiv type 2 and type n infection? I was wondering what doctor specialist would qualify to order such a test? An immunologist, internal medicine, an allergist, a general medicine doctor, an infectious disease specialist, or only an hiv doctor? This may sound funny but i am not too crazy about the idea of visiting an hiv doctor unless i have confirmed infection? Am i alone in my hesistation? Please advise???

Thanks a mill!


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Milly,

Any physician can order HIV tests; however, only those with considerable experience may be willing to order specialized sub typing. If you think you really need very specialized testing why be hesitant about seeing an HIV specialist? They would be most qualified to assess your possible risk and recommend appropriate testing as warranted. Of the list of physicians you mention, the "allergist" would be the least likely to have experience in HIV medicine.

You're welcome a "mill," Milly.

Dr. Bob

Just put on PEP
Oral sex w/ an HIV postive man

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint