Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Permission to hit big red panic button?
Aug 24, 2003

Hello Br bob. I hope you had a nice break in Paris. Your admiring army has certainly missed you. Im just after your expert opinion before I hit the big red panic button. I received protected oral sex from a prostitue using a condom of unknown material. Are nearly all condoms latex? Im aware this is a low risk activity but I started to get funny symptons and naturally convinced myself I contracted Hiv. I have not had any flu like symptoms but did have the following:

1. Upset stoamch and loss of apetite + green stool. (Normally I can eat for England)

2 Dry mouth

3 Redish patch of skin on my chest which has a slight burning sensation.

When I wear my Dr Bob inspired head I convince myself of the low risk and that stress and anxiety are the likely causes. I would imagine this is on my mind 24 * 7. Then I get my panic head on which completely stresses me out and I just want to hit the big red panic button. You opinion would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully then I can give my internet connection a break. The internet is full of conflicting information. I think sometims ignorance is bliss. Nice to have u back Bob. Stay well.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Oui, Paris etait formidable et tres amusant.

So, I'm gone for a few days and now you're ready to hit the big red panic button??? OK sir, put your hands down slowly so I can see them and step away from the panic button. That's a good boy.

Now on to your questions:

1. Are nearly all condoms latex? Yes, most are, but not all. Some are polyurethane, while other are made of lamb intestines! (Yeah, I know Yuck!) 2. You started to get "funny symptoms" and "naturally convinced" yourself you were HIV-positive? What's natural about that?? Relax! Your exposure was protected oral sex, which means you really didn't have an exposure. So I don't think your symptoms are "funny," but rather "hysterical" (as in psychological). Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of HIV.

So, there you have it essentially no risk plus symptoms not at all suggestive of HIV. What does that add up to? A panic button or a panic attack?

So, my friend, stick with "Dr. Bob-inspired head." Use superglue to hold it in place if necessary. It's both rational and fashionable! The other (paranoid panic head) is all wrong for you!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Allergic Rhinitis Perennial or Hiv???
Next
Despertate in Brazil

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.