Allergic Rhinitis Perennial or Hiv???

Dr. Bob,

You are such a compassionate doctor and a kindred spirit in the warm answers you fulfill those who visit this forum. Thank you again from everyone who tunes here at the body for all your endless effort you attribute in making us knowledgable in hiv. My question is this, I was recently diagnosed with allergic rhinitis perennial after suffering two year period of constant itching, feeling stuffed up, white coating on tongue fruited by mouth mucus explosions. I was wondering is this condition common in East Coast, New Jersey to have this or does it usually attack hiv positive individuals. I have never had this before i turned 22. I had a risky exposure prior to these symptoms appearing. What is your opinion? Im all ears literally! Please stay well. You are the Greatest.

Allergic Rhinitis Lady of New Jersey

Hello Allergic Rhinitis Lady,

If you've got allergic rhinitis, wouldn't you be "all nose" rather than "all ears"? Anyway, to answer your question, no, allergic rhinitis and HIV are 2 completely different conditions. HIV is obviously caused by a virus. Allergic rhinitis is an immunological overreaction (a "hypersensitivity") to a substance or substances such as house dust, your pet cat fluffy, or plant pollens, etc. that most people do not overreact to. It can begin at any age.

That said, if you've had a potential HIV exposure, get tested at least 3 months or more after the incident. This is a completely unrelated issue.

For the allergic rhinitis, see an allergist.

Stay well.

should i get pep
Permission to hit big red panic button?