Visit to the ENT Clinic, now worried about hiv!

Dr. Bob,

First off, i want to laud you as being the compassionate, affable, and most of all the understandably caring doctor.

I did email you earlier about my exposure. I wasn't sure if it went through. I went to the MEETH (Manhattan Eye Ear Throat Hospital) in attempt to find out what was what my ailment. The kind attendant used a scope made out of metal but had a lite on it which was inserted into my nose to look at why i was so stuffed up and was mucus was constantly dripping.

The diagnosis allergic rhinitis (Annual not seasonal) yucky! Now Dr. Bob, the main part which concerns me is when i came home i noticed a wound (white abrasion like thing that formed on the back of my throat on the left side). This was not there before the exam with the scope, (what is that instrument called) it hurts ouch! In any event, i believe i was scraped with the scope with a light during my procedure and thus bled and then as a result that abrasion (wound was formed).

I am worried about if that wound, for me possess in reality even a 1 percent chance of acquiring hiv. I figured what if, by accident the scope was used on someone hiv positive before me and then wasnt cleaned for some reason and then i was cut.

I know this might sound like nonsense to you and if it does i don't blame you. It's just that after 9/11 in the crazy world we live in its real nice to hear doctors as you describe the realistic odds for getting hiv with a procedure such as this.

I know i will test to just ease my month, but Dr. Bob at what point could i test out with a negative result and put this nonsense behind me? 6 months or 1.5 years? Please advise.

Has ever anyone ever contracted hiv like this before?

Your donation will recieve a nice lump sum following my testing results. Get ready.

Thank you very much again,

Extremely worried ENT patient in NYC :0

Hello Extremely Worried ENT patient in NYC,

No, you cannot get HIV-infected from the nasolaryngoscope used for your exam, even if it did cause the abrasion. Yes, the post 9/11 world is a bit nuts. "Ahhhnold" is running for governor here and you guys are in the midst of a massive blackout. But that still doesn't change your odds on this visit to MEETH.

If you insist on getting HIV tested which I don't think is warranted or at all necessary a 3-month test is considered definitive.

Finally, has anyone contracted HIV in the manner you describe? No.

Hope this eases your worries. Thanks for your donation!

Stay well. Hope your lights go back on soon.

am i out of the woods
Doc please answer me this!!