Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer this time
Aug 10, 2003

I asked a question a week or so ago and no answer. It is puzzling why you choose questions like "I shook hands with a nun and now I have dandruff. Could I be infected?", but didn't answer mine. Anyway, I will try one more time. I am really concerned so please try to answer.

About a month after having unprotected sex gay guy who swears he is tested every 3 months and negative, I had sex with my wife. About four weeks later, I had sex with her again. About seven days after that, she had a rash on both sides of her body, starting below the last rib and going down to the thigh on each side. She had no fever but complained of fatigue. Her rash lasted about 4-6 days then went away. She had started hormone replacement therapy about 3-4 days before the rash and thinks that is what the rash was from, but I am scared. I know I should have been concerned about this before I did that stupid thing of having sex in the first place, but too late now.

Does this sound suspicious or am I worrying for nothing.

Thanks Mark

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Mark,

Unprotected sex (gay or straight) does carry some degree of risk for HIV transmission, no matter what the guy (or gal) says about his (or her) status. An ELISA test 3 months after a potential exposure is recommended. That said, what do I think about your wife's symptoms? Well, it does not sound like HIV to me. From your question, it sounds like you are at least 2 months out from your potential exposure. I'd suggest you get a test at 3 months. If negative, you certainly don't have to worry about having passed anything on to the Mrs.

Ideally, I'd recommend you talk to your wife and advise her of your concerns. Honesty in a relationship really is the best policy.

As for the nun with dandruff, well what you didn't know is that her name was Sister Missionary Position, so I thought I better answer.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Question from South Africa
Next
How do I know if a cut is a "deep or fresh" wound?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.