Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob- Kidney Donor
Aug 10, 2003

Dear Dr. Bob, I hope all is well with you.

3+ months ago I posted this question. (see below).

I have since had ELIZA test and testing Hepititis. The test came back negative.

I have to be honest and say I still have some fears that I am working on with my physchiatrist.

What is compounding my fears is the recent illnes my wife has had. She started sinus infection aches and pains, followed by a bad rash/hives and still feeling of lump in the throat.

I am truly needing a Wooo Hooo from you. Am I conclusive at 3 months testing that I did not contract HIV?

Your guidance mean a great deal to me.

By the way my sister is still is good shape so it may be months before the tranplant would occur.

God Bless and thank you for listening.

Here was my last post.

" Dr. Bob, first let me say that I understand how difficult it is to answer all of the many questions you receive.

I am only hoping you will read mine and respond. There are many of us that look to you in great regard.

I am the person who sent in a question some weeks ago about whether I am ok to donate my kidney after 3, 6 and 15 month neg ELIZA results. You gave me the big WOOO HOOO.

Thank you so much for that...

I unfortunitly am suffering from severe anxiety do to the donation. And I am seeing a Physchiatrist about this.

What would help me greatly is your response to this one time stupid episode that happened 2 weeks ago.

I was out having a few beer with my friends and was asked by my friends new girfriend if I wanted some cocaine.

I dont know why since I havent done this in over 20 years, but I said yes.

I snorted ONE line of coke with a shared straw. Thankfully I hated it.

But the next day I started with worrying what I could have caught (HIV, HEP) through this one time espisode.

I like most read into too much about possible transmission. And now am scared.

I have told the Kidney Dr. about what I did and she said I think your fine but to ease your anxiety we will do some Serology test in July.

Most likely the donation wont happen till the fall do to my sisters condition not mine.

Sooooo please tell me what you think.. Am I at risk for HIV or Hep.? Waiting 3 months is going to be very difficult for me."

Hello Kidney Donor,

I agree with the transplant doctor: You are fine. The tests in July will prove that. Continue to work with your psychiatrist on your anxiety. Thats your only problem at this time. Remember, what you are doing for your sister is something very wonderful and very altruistic. Shes a lucky woman and you are a generous person! Stay well.

Dr. Bob"

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Congratulations on your negative 3-month ELISA test. Yes, this is conclusive. You are HIV-negative. I'm also glad that you are working with a psychiatrist to overcome your fears. Please know that you have absolutely nothing to fear as far as HIV is concerned. Good luck with the upcoming transplant surgery!

Dr. Bob

Previous
VENEZUELA GETTING OVER IT
Next
Question from South Africa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.