For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Concerned for nursing toddler after cut my finger on glass

When out in a club in NYC, I was in the restroom and there were empty used dirty glasses sitting beside the sink. One of the glasses slipped into the sink and somehow cut my finger. It was a very minor cut, but it did bleed somewhat and was sore for a few days. If the person who used the glass was HIV positive, am I at risk? I am very concerned because I still nurse my 18 month old child. My doctor said not to worry and keep nursing...but I can't seem to get it out of my mind. Should I be concerned?

You are not at risk for infection with HIV. The CDC has not documented any cases of transmission that have occurred through casual contact. Even though you had a cut, you have no direct evidence that you were exposed to the blood, semen, or vaginal secretions of an HIV infected person. Even if the person who use the glass was HIV positive, there is no reason to suspect that infectious fluids were left on the glass.

Oral Sex STD's Part 2
Man's Breast Friend