Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insertive Anal Sex Worried
Jul 30, 2003

I had unprotected insertive anal sex with a guy almost three months ago. Since that time I have had no worries since he told me he was negative at the time. But, recently it has come to my attention through third parties that he is testing positive. I assesed my one night with him and am getting worried. I was only inside for a minute and there was much movment to cause much friction. I know I should get tested soon, but what are the chances that this would be a hiv+ test for me?

Response from Mr. Kull

I can't quantify the chances for an HIV positive or negative test result. If you did have insertive anal sex without a condom with an HIV infected person, you are at risk for infection. The insertive partner is at less risk than the receptive, but the risk of having mucous membrane contact with blood is a possible route for transmission to the insertive partner. There is also the more likely risk that one would be exposed to other sexually transmitted infections (certain ones, including HIV, seem to be on the rise for men who have sex with men).

You shouldn't panic after one, brief, insertive episode. It's just important that you avoid having unprotected sex and get tested three or more months after the exposure. It is also crucial that you look at some of the factors that influenced your decision-making in this encounter. Hopefully some evaluation of the situation will reduce the odds of it occuring again in the future.

RMK

Previous
Question about pregnancy
Next
Symptoms persist despite 11 week neg. test, scared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.