Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confused on advice
Jul 29, 2003

Dear Mr. Kull,

I had protected sex with a (South African) man with unknown hiv-status. The condom remained on, nor did it break.

Just few days ago it struck me, that he put some of his own saliva on already lubricated condom, right before entering.

I called to the local aids-line provided by the national Red Cross (not the US), and the lady said to me that "according to the latest studies, saliva is as dangerous as semen" and she recommended testing.

After what I have read here instead, says the exact opposite! I would be more happy to believe you, but getting so controversial data and without being able to judge which is "the latest information" myself, I turn to you, to clarify this, once and for all.

Should I consider testing, or is this scenario too unlike to result in transmission?

Thank you. Yours, L.s.

Response from Mr. Kull

Saliva is not as dangerous as semen (in terms of HIV transmission, or anything else for that matter). In fact, there is no evidence that saliva poses any threat for HIV transmission.

You should avoid using semen as a lubricant with condoms. It doesn't directly damage condoms, but salive does not provide significant lubrication which can increase the risk of tearing or breakage. Use water-based lubricants instead.

RMK

Previous
My 15 year old son !!!!
Next
Too many symptoms ... HELP!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.