Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

blood contact
Jul 22, 2003

Thanks for your kindly reply. I was pricked my finger with a lancet by a nurse for a blood donation in a center where blood is collected from donors. This is for a blood type test. The lancet was used only for me, which was not used by anybody. But the nurse gave me a piece of sterile absorbent cotton to stop blood from my finger. After a few seconds, I unconsciously dropped the cotton on the table. I picked it up and pressed it onto the tiny sore on my finger. Then I saw the marks of blood on the table. I thought it was made by the blood in the cotton used for me. I thought the trace of blood was mine. Question : But what if a accident happened as following. The mark of blood was hiv+ another donor's, who was pricked his finger with another lancet, and his blood dropped on the table. After one minute, My cotton for stopping blood absorbed his blood. And I picked it up, pressed it on my sore finger. This is a imaginable supposition. Is this put me at any risk for infection with hiv. The trace of blood(mine or someone's) was exposed to air for a while(about 1 minute). The amount of blood was a little. Please help me with your reply.

Response from Mr. Kull

Please try to remember that transmission through blood contact primarily occurs through sharing injection needles for drug use, and not through the route you describe. The possible scenario for transmission that you are imagining is quite complicated, and rather improbable. You should not be considering yourself at risk for HIV infection based on the event you describe.

RMK

Previous
How conclusive after 5 weeks?
Next
Symptom: sore throat?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.