Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The internacional enigma
Jul 16, 2003

Hi, how is possible that after all this years that AIDS exist there are so many different interpretacion of what is risky. For example many Italian site refer as very risky practice of cannilingus or reciving a fellacio. What is the cause of this extremely different interpretacion of this infection. And why there is not a worldwide organism that inform of what is really dangerous and what not. Sorry for my bad English. Other question I have for you is if there is a statistic about the HIV. For example you say that 3 months test is quite definitive. So is there a statistic that say what is the average of people detected afer 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks and 6 months?

I want to end this mail telling that you are doing a great job. My theory is that many other site try to terrify people and this is really dangerous specially for all the people who leave with a big AIDS phobia. I will apreciate a lot your answer. Thanks Lonely Italian

Response from Mr. Kull

I think part of the problem is that people are looking for an exact answer to issues of transmission. There are none. Transmission is highly complex and is determined by a number of factors that are both constant and variable in each and every situation. So, we can't predict exactly when HIV will be transmitted; we can only look at what we know about transmission, and give a general picture of what we think the likelihood is.

Studies have consistently demonstrated that transmission through oral sex occurs much less frequently (if that) when compared to anal or vaginal sex. Most studies have demonstrated that the likelihood of oral transmission in and of itself is quite low, and in some studies of oral sex and HIV, oral transmission hasn't even been observed. Laboratory studies also confirm that saliva inhibits HIV's ability to infect people, and that the cells that line the tissue of the mouth are less prone to infection when compared to the mucous membranes of the vagina and rectum.

I can't quantify the odds of testing accuracy at different intervals within the window period. The information I'm familiar with states that the majority of HIV infected people will be antibody positive in about one month of infection, and that virtually all people will be positive by three months.

RMK

Previous
HIV Symptoms
Next
Safer sex ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.