The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Symptoms

Jul 16, 2003

I recently (5 days ago) had unprotected sex with a girl I didn't know and I'm freaking out! I've been absorbing all the information I can on websites about HIV symptoms, but to this point I'm more confused than ever. Since the encounter and over the past few days I have experienced a few of the symptoms I've seen listed (Difficulty Breathing, Dry Cough, Muscle Aches, Headaches, Swelling around the groin). I don't seem to have a fever or Swollen glands or at least they haven't shown to this point. Is it common for symptoms to appear in such a short time or am I just being peranoid. Here's to hoping it's the later. I'm done with one night stands forever!!

Response from Mr. Kull

Stop the madness! You are not going to be able to figure out if you have HIV or not based on symptoms that you may or may not be experiencing, so do your best to get out of that trap.

A couple of things. One should only begin to question the connection between symptoms and early HIV infection if they are known to be at significant risk for infection (having unprotected sex with an HIV infected person or someone from a high risk group). People who are at low-risk for infection are not likely to be experiencing symptoms of acute infection. Also, see a doctor if you have questions about your physical health: the internet should be a tool to assist, and not a substitute for, appropriate health care.


only had oral sex
The internacional enigma

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint