Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help
Jul 11, 2003

I know this is like the 5th time i sent it but I need to hear it from an expert like yourself. a week and a half ago I met this women who I corresponded with over the internet. She is a divorced mother who is slightly over 30 yrs old. I received unprotected oral sex from her. I have been worried sick ever since. I know the risk is very low with this kind of exposure but I would love insight from others who went through similar situations. I still speak to this lady on a daily basis hoping that her doing well will ease my fears. She is a very nice person and puts up with my constant nagging. I asked her if she ever had an STD or got tested for HIV and she said she never had an STD and that in December she donated eggs and went through a lot of blood tests and that if she had a disease she would not of been able to donate the eggs. Since December she has had sex with 3 guys, all of whom, she has known for a year or so. She also told me that they all wore protection. I do believe her when she constantly assures me that she is disease free but for some reason I can't stop worrying. I know that unprotected oral sex when you are the receiver poses a low risk for transmission. I fear that this incident will control my life for the next 3-6 months. What do you think of my situation?

Response from Mr. Kull

Well, it sounds like you have the information, except I would like to make one clarification: the risk for transmission through insertive oral sex is VERY low, practically nonexistent. The CDC doesn't see people getting infected this way, primarily because HIV is not known to be transmitted through contact with saliva. So, even if your partner was HIV infected, you would have little to worry about.

I hope that helps. If you still feel overwhelmed, consider talking with someone, in person, about your fears.

RMK

Previous
RYAN.........NEEDLE WORRY.HELP?
Next
I am not a WW. Home Access clarification

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.