Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

This just ain't right, Doc.
Jul 9, 2003

Hi Dr. Bob,

Great forum! Thanks for your comforting words and advice. It's such a relief to know you're there.

I've put myself at risk in two or three ways. Unprotected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex with women of unknown status. Giving and receiving oral. (I tested negative in 2001. A great relief to me).

Being a little adventurous one night a man gave me oral in the Fall of 2002. Soon thereafter, I developed a very dry persistent cough (as in some 19th Century disease cough) and a purplish red rash above my forehead. I felt some small zap going through my brain. (Not kidding at all about this).

Around that same time, I started having panic attacks for the first time. (I'm 34). Over the next few months I caught a couple of colds. No big deal, right?

In March 2003, I got the stiffest neck and shoulders I've ever felt. Then the fatigue started. Got an upper respiratory infection, ear infection, pharangitis, the purplish/red rash on the forehead again, white hairy tongue, a pustule on my face which popped and bled freely and profusley (as in a blood stain the size of a hand on my pillow) folliculitis, suborrhic dermatitis, oral lichen planus (and what looks like KS to me, but the oral surgeon says it's nothing to worry about...easy for him to say).

The following weeks included the pins and needles, obsessive compulsive disorder, blurred vision, extreme fatigue, muscle pain/weakness, shortness of breath AND my fingernails, toenails and hair have stopped growing. (No I'm not kidding). Did I also mention my teeth hurt and are loosening and my blood pressure is up?

A full seven months passed after my exposure and I took the 20 minute HIV quick test. It was negative. I WHOO-HOOED for a day. Then, I was off the the races. Totally unconvinced. (I had lichen planus when I was 20 years old, so I concluded that my immune system sucked and the virus was strong). Took another Elisa test in June 2003. Negative. Took a PCR RNA viral load test. No detectable virus. CBC normal. Sed rate. Normal. Metabolic test normal.

Here's my hypothesis. I haven't had a T-cell lymphocyte subtest done yet. My guess is that it will be very low. I probably sero-reverted to negative and the virus has replicated so quickly that the viral load test can't pick it up anymore. (Or the viral load test is inaccurate).

My bite has changed as well, so I'm thinking that I have nasopharanx cancer and perhaps these new moles on my skin are cancer as well.

My Internist thinks I'm crazy and so does my family. I'm on Paxil and seeing a shrink, but I really think I pulled the ultimate short straw on this one.

What do you think?

Thanks a million! Hope you stay well!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Well, no wonder people love their pets so much. A cat is giving you oral sex? Ill have to assume youre a woman or the cat would have to be a giant cougar? How did you teach him or her to do that? Have you been playing "hide the can nip" again?

To answer your question, no, you cannot acquire Human Immunodeficiency Virus (please note the "Human") from a feline (or canine for that matter). Cancers? No. Other diseases? Well, not likely, but if youre concerned, you can always call a veterinarian! Lets just hope your next pet isnt a dog, sheep, cow, or llama. Stay well, and consider getting a boyfriend, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Another Animal Question!
Next
FOR ALL and Dr. Bob. A worried well revealed!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.