Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is ARS cough contagious?
Jul 7, 2003

Hello Doc, I had case of hangnails as i picked my skin at nail roots. They were pretty fresh..i mean an hour or two fresh. At this time...I had an episode of fingering a prostitute. No sex and no kissing. At first I had dry cough and saw coated tongue and extremely worried. With in 4 weeks I had all the symptoms. Coated tongue, severe weight loss, severe dry cough, one swollen lymph node about pea size under my left arm, eye floaters...no night sweats and fever though.

My question is....my room mate too got severe dry cough after a month. At that time my cough was at its peak. 1. Is ARS cough contagious? 2. What would you think about my exposure though hangnails and fingering? 3. At what time of the infection would you see eye floates and kaposi's sarcoma sort of diseases?

Please answer this..I am really dying with anxiety. Can smoking causes these symptoms?

Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

HIV is not transmitted through the air (it is not airborne), so a person is not at risk for HIV infection when a person with acute HIV infection coughs.

There is no evidence that HIV has ever been transmitted through fingering (even with hangnails). According to the CDC, HIV is only known to be sexually transmitted during anal, vaginal, and (MUCH less frequently) oral sex.

Finally, don't try to diagnose yourself based on the absence or presence of symptoms. If you are in fact at risk for infection, get tested at least three months after your last exposure.

RMK

Previous
A Whistle and HIV transmission?
Next
transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.