Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Have you ever been wrong Dr. Bob?
Jul 6, 2003

First of all, let me say that I love you very much and appreciate all you do on this forum. My question is, have you ever told someone definitively that they are without a doubt negative and have them come back later saying they tested positive without futher exposure of course. In other words, have you ever been wrong in telling someone they are without a doubt negative? Please respond Dr. Bob, I think many folks would like to know other than myself. By the way, I'm one of the people that you told is completely negative, and my tests still bear that out.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Have I ever been wrong?" Oh sure, I've been wrong. For instance, I thought all those ladies with the big teased-up hair in Texas just had bad taste, but recently they informed me I was "wrong." Apparently, they believe "the higher the hair, the closer to Jesus." So see, I was wrong. (Or, maybe not.)

OK, rereading your question, I see you ask specifically about people I told were "definitely without a doubt negative." The folks I say that to generally have had a gazillion negative HIV tests and minimal (often questionable) potential exposure. The answer to your question is no, not even once!!! That's despite the fact that so many are worried they are going to be the "one in a million chance" of having multiple false negative tests, or a "new" strain, or any of a number of other implausible (often impossible) concerns. If all the folks who were convinced they are that "one in a million chance" really did turn out to have HIV, the chances wouldn't be "one in a million," but rather "a million to one!" And your own case just continues to prove my point! Congratulations and WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
JUST A SHORT NOTE FROM SOUTH AFRICA
Next
oral sex confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.