Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob, this risk assessment is valid and original
Jul 6, 2003

Dear Dr Bob

It's been nearly a year since I last spoke to you and I am nearing the test-time. You were helpful then but I am nearing the eleventh hour..

Since I am quite sure the result will be bad I am not sure that getting it confirmed is the best thing to do. I always practise SS and have no intention of doing HAART until I have to. I eat well and exercise and don't get too stressed.

Yes, I worry about the maybes but I have hope. A positive result for someone in my position: straight, no network of gay friends, living in the ''antithesis ''of New York or San francisco (in terms of plurality, attitude, medical/ moral support) would mean constant paranoia.

To be honest the only reason I feel going thru with the test is because there's a chance I may be wrong.

But, I need to know my chance. If it is less than 30 then I'd be happier living and not knowing. So that's why I am writing to you on this transmission forum.

By the way, I have read EVERYTHING you ever wrote and I believe this case has not been covered.

Here it is.

The girl was +ve. No intercourse. Brief handjob and...THEN..THEN....she continued to insert her finger up and down my exit for a couple of minutes. HER Finger contained a coating of vaginal secretions as I am sure that when she had just previously gone to the bathroom she had manipulated her region, as she was experiencing some pain there.

So, in a sense, though I am straight, it seems that this episode was tantamount to receptive anal sex from a man.

21 days later I experiences a mild but persistant sore throat with varying degrees of lympth node swelling. The condition lasted 21 days also, then disappeared

What are my chances?

I really beg you to answer DR B because I really don't wanna do this test if what I think is correct

Please take my gratitude for the wonderful service and support you provide as read.

You didn't ask for you condition. I did. You are a truly good man.

Consumed with angst

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Consumed with Angst,

Brief handjob and THEN . . . THEN . . . she continued to insert her finger up and down your "exit"? And you think this is "tantamount" to receptive anal sex from a man" because the woman might have "manipulated her region?" Yes, I can see you dont live anywhere near New York or San Francisco. We dont talk like that here, and we have a much clearer understanding of receptive anal sex. No, Mr. Angst, your experience is nowhere near "tantamount to receptive anal sex."

You are quite sure your HIV result will be bad. I, on the other hand, have exactly the opposite opinion. Your chances of contracting HIV from the activity you describe are nearly nonexistent. Just for the record, even if you had had receptive anal intercourse with a confirmed positive HIV man, your risk of contracting HIV would be in the range of 0.1 3 percent a very far cry from the 30 percent figure you mention.

Stop stressing. Get tested and start WOO-HOOing. Or Ill kick you in the "exit."

Dr. Bob

Previous
UPDATE to Terrified Over Oral Sex-Dr Bob Please Read
Next
Thanks for your wonderful response article

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.