Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

GOT HIV FROM RECEIVING FELLATIO...LISTEN TO MY WEIRD STORY!!
Jun 27, 2003

I know you say the chances of getting HIV from receiving fellatio are very small to nil, but I have a very odd story for you. Four months and two weeks ago, I met a girl at a bar. To make a long story short, I got a BJ from her and didn't use a condom. I didn't know you could get HIV from oral sex, I thought only intercourse because that's all I was ever taught. The girl had a tongue ring and I had a cough. I didn't notice any blood on my penis after, but why would I anyway if it was mixed with saliva and my semen??? I kissed her and didn't taste any blood, so I don't think she was bleeding but I don't know really. Anyway, I saw a doctor immediately and told him. He said my chances were almost nothing and that he didn't think I had HIV, but to come back in four months and test just to be sure. A month later I got a cough and it went away. Exactly 3 months and 3 weeks after the exposure (I counted), I caught a mono-like illness that was going around the community. I know it was going around because my mom and my sister both caught it too. My dad did not get it however. It took about a week to ten days for my symptoms to go away and the same for my sister and my mom, except for one thing. My lymph nodes in my neck and jaw remained swollen and have stayed that way for over three weeks. I'm sure I am positive because what else could possibly cause them not to go down from what I know was a community illness. I'm am so scared and there is no way I can ever tell anyone this. I feel like the unluckiest guy that ever lived. I am stressing like crazy and am afraid to get tested. When is it a good time to start treatment after contracting HIV? Also, is this typical of ARS after 15 weeks of exposure??? Would it be possible to build up antibodies before experiencing ARS??? Please give my some ideas here. I'm desperate

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Now remind me once again why you are "sure you are positive?" Was it because you have a possible swollen lymph node in your neck following a "mono-like" illness? Assuming the lymph node is really a lymph node, and assuming its larger than normal size (2 very large assumptions, I might add), I could list exactly 2,697,542 medical conditions that could cause this. HIV is not one of them, as HIV would generally cause generalized lymphadenopathy, which means all your lymph nodes, and not just one in your neck, would swell.

"Unluckiest guy in the world?" Oh, Id tend to doubt that as well. Visit a cancer ward or AIDS hospice, and Ill bet youll change your mind rather quickly. Your doctor said your chances were "almost nothing" for contracting HIV. I totally agree. He also said to come back for a test "to be sure." So why havent you done that? Perhaps because you are "stressing like crazy?" Ask your doctor for a referral for some counseling to treat your anxiety and irrational fears.

"When is a good time to start treatment"? Well, Id say you should start treatment right away treatment for anxiety, not HIV! Youre not unlucky; youre just anxious. Your story isnt "weird," its extremely common.

So, did you get HIV from receiving fellatio? Ill let you tell me when you get your test result. Im quite certain what the answer will be, but Ill wait to say, "I told you so," until you write back. OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
update from joe (lymphopenia etc)
Next
Protected Intercourse + No ARS symptoms = HIV free???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.