Pleeese answer - Totally stressed and on drugs for over a year. I am BEGGING

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have written to you in the past but did not get an answewr however, I read you post each day. I am convinced that the stress over HIV will kill me!!! I need a rational answer. My husband had unprotected sex with a sex worker and then had unprotected sex with me. He discovered that he had contracted gonnerhea and was treated. I was treated also. After the treatment I developed a white tongue. I was treated for thrush with two courses of lozenges and two courses of diflucan. I still have a coated tongue after a year.

Now to the testing. My husband and I both had neg antibody tests after about 6 weeks. My husband had a neg PCR at 3 months and a negative antibody (ELISA) at 4 and 1/2 months.

Please, I need to know that we are truely neg. I think I could finally rest if I heard it directly from you. I could live with a coated tongue if I can get rid of this debilitating anxiety.

I thank you more than you could possibly know.

Hopefull Grandma

Grandma, is that you?

OK granny, relax! You and Grandpa are just fine. His negative ELISA at 4 months is absolutely definitive. He does not have HIV. And since he doesnt have it, he cant give it to you. The PCR at 3 months and negative 6-week antibody test just further corroborate his negative status.

So, what about your coated tongue? It may well be completely normal or related to your stress. Your doctor or dentist can check it out for you. One thing thats for certain: Its not related to HIV. Certainly the course of antibiotics you took to treat the gonorrhea exposure might have allowed a Candida overgrowth in the mouth, but this should definitely respond to the antifungal lozenges and Diflucan, as well as to just being off the antibiotics.

Grandpas experience does point out one very important fact. Its much easier to contract gonorrhea (and other STDs) than HIV! And as Martha Stewart would say, "Thats a good thing!"

So Granny, you are indeed "truly negative!" Now lets hear a great big granny WOO-HOO. You can now relax and go bake some cookies for the grandkids.

Congratulations.

safe sex and meds
Thx Dr. Bob - no answer necassary