Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

safe sex and meds
Jun 25, 2003

my partner and I are both hiv+ I have just started to take meds, he has not and we were wondering about sex. We were having unsafe sex, we are wondering if there are risks for the one not taking meds and should we pratcise safe sex.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Good question, and one that weve had difficulty answering scientifically for some time. Some folks believed that once you were positive, safe sex didnt matter as long as you had sex with other positoids. The risk and worry has always been the lingering question of whether its possible to contract another, more aggressive, strain of virus in addition to the one you already have. Multiple recent studies have now unfortunately concluded this is indeed the case. Highly resistant, highly aggressive strains of HIV can be passed not only to HIV-negative individuals, but also to other positive folks! Exactly how often this occurs, we dont know. However, that the risk is real is now undeniable. So, should you and your partner practice safe sex? That is a decision that the two of you need to make together, now that you have this new information.

Despite the hassle of condoms, I personally would strongly recommend safe sex. I could not put my partner at risk, nor would I risk my own health. Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
i think you are avoiding my question, my anxiety is increasing. help me doctor
Next
Pleeese answer - Totally stressed and on drugs for over a year. I am BEGGING

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.