i think you are avoiding my question, my anxiety is increasing. help me doctor

Dr. Bob, Howdy to you! Thanks for all your help and encouraging comments on this forum, you are appreciated.

Okay, I have an important, serious question for you. I tested negative at 7 weeks, 3 months, and 4.5 months. All ELISA tests. I had unprotected sex back in December. At the time, her HIV status was unknown. However, she recently revealed her HIV positive status to me. I was and still am an absolute wreck. I have had alot of symptoms during this window period. My doctor attributes alot of my symptoms to anxiety and stress. I hope he is right. Do you think I need to test again at 6 months or is my 4.5 month ELISA good enough. What do you think my chances are? Can you give possibly a percentage or a metaphor to describe my chances?

Doctor, I promise with my whole heart I will donate to your cause if you can answer my questions. Thanks alot!

Scared in Arizona! Doctor F., good day to you! I was wanting to run this scernario by you and get your opinion. I had unprotected vaginal sex twice back in December with the same woman. I had 7 week, 3 month, and 4.5 month negative ELISA tests. I had several symptoms, but my doctor attributed them to stress. I just found out days ago that she is, in fact, HIV positive. I have not talked with my doctor since I've heard the news. What are your thoughts? Should I test again? Are my chances pretty good after a 4.5 negative test? I'm just scared I'm not out of the woods yet, and I would appreciate an answer. Thank you for your patience and your time Doctor, you are absolutely wonderful and help thousands of worried people throughout the world! A donation is certainy in order. Scared Stiff

Hello Scared Stiff,

Gee, when most folks get scared, their "stiffy" goes away, but never mind about that now. Lets get to your question.

Your exposure is 2 episodes of insertive (you being the "stiffy," I presume) vaginal sex with a woman. Unprotected sex is considered a risk for HIV. That is true. The risk is less for the insertive partner than for the receptive partner. Your 3-month negative ELISA test is considered definitive. You are indeed HIV-negative. The negative 7-week test was encouraging, but not considered definitive. The negative 4.5-month test just reconfirms what we already knew at 3 months youre negative! OK, so now you find out that your partner had HIV disease. That is unfortunate for her, but does not change your results! Should you test again? Its certainly not necessary in my opinion; however, if you want to follow the absolute most stringent (and now somewhat outdated guidelines), you can retest at 6 months. Since this roll in the hay occurred in December, your 6-month mark should be now. I think you are definitely out of the woods, but if you are still scared about that forest in your rearview mirror, go ahead and get retested. It will be negative. Either way, Im convinced you qualify for a WOO-HOO!

Thanks for your donation.

P.S. Ill be in Phoenix next week. I guess I should pack sunscreen, eh?

Question about Bob's lifestyle
safe sex and meds