Question about Bob's lifestyle

Dr. Bob,

First I just want to say that you're doing an excellent job. Your laid back approach to answering people's questions seems to have them looking at their situation with an optimistic attitude. But I just have to ask, with you being positive and all what is your lifestyle like? Do you take like 20 meds a day? How much sleep do you get a night? What do you usually eat? And do you ever drink alcohol, meaning even the occasional glass of wine at dinner? Thanks, keep up the good work.

Whats my "lifestyle" like? Assuming you dont mean "lifestyle" in the same way as Jerry Fallwell or Rich Santorum would, my "life" is full, rewarding, satisfying, and quite wonderful! Sure, living with any chronic illness can be challenging at times, and Im no exception to that. Do I take 20 meds a day? No, not quite that many; however, if you were to count up all the pills I take in a single year, it would be 7426 at present. Of course, if you exclude Viagra, that count would drop in half. How many hours of sleep do I get per night? Well that depends on whether Im engrossed in a new book the new Harry Potter kept me up late Saturday night or if they are showing late night reruns of "Sex and the City" on HBO. I try to spend 8-10 hours in bed. Oh, but you asked about sleep, didnt you? Thats a different story. In truth, I do require more sleep now than in my "neggie" days. I try to listen to my body. Since becoming positive, I have made significant changes in my diet, exercise routine, sleep/rest habits, and stress reduction routines.

What do I usually eat? Im Italian. So, I stress the 4 basic food groups:

1. antipasto 2. pasta 3. cappuccino 4. gelato

In reality, I eat a healthy high-protein, low-fat diet.

Do I drink alcohol? Of course! Like I said, Im Italian! And remember theres that sip of wine every Sunday at church, right? But I dont really do that anymore, and isnt that wine supposed to be transformed into blood, so maybe that wouldnt count anyway. OK, in truth yes, I enjoy "adult beverages" in moderation. I may not slurp down as many cosmopolitans as Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda, but I do like them. And wine with a nice dinner? Absolutely. And Im certainly not at all adverse to a small glass of port with dessert!

Ill take yesterday as a typical day:

1. Morning pills with breakfast, followed by a few hours of work for our foundation, setting up our next big fundraiser "A Concerted Effort 2003: A Concert for World AIDS Day. 2. Then, a few hours practicing the piano, which is becoming a bit challenging due to my peripheral neuropathy (at least thats a good excuse for my hitting wrong notes). 3. Then, a run with our pooch Presto in the park, followed by lunch with my lover Steve (hes the expert on The Bodys Tratamientos Forum.) 4. Next, its off to the lab for a blood draw to check my viral load and CD4 cell count. 5. Then, a few more hours of work (like answering questions on this web site). 6. Next, a workout at the gym, followed by sauna and steam. 7. Then, dinner in San Francisco at a charming French restaurant with friends, followed by theater. We saw "Wicked," the new musical based on how the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz became "wicked". The show is heading for Broadway after its run in San Francisco later this month. 8. The evening was capped off with a nightcap, as Steve and I snuggled on the couch with our dog and got caught up on the days events. As for what happened next, youll just have to let your mind wonder about that.

So, thats my "lifestyle." Despite the challenges and tribulations of HIV, I remain very thankful. In many ways, I have never felt more alive!

Please doc, 8th time posting.....real exposure, not a lapdance or sitting on a toilet!
i think you are avoiding my question, my anxiety is increasing. help me doctor