The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Best Method for Protective Oral Sex with female

Jun 13, 2003

What's the best method of protection to use regarding performing oral sex on a female. I've heard of saran wrap but that sounds kind of sketchy. What's the deal with dental dams? I've never seen one before, do you get them at a dental supply store?

All in all, do you think that using protection on a female is even necessary? Are the risks low for getting STD's from performing oral sex on a female?

Thanks for the advice. It's really appreciated :)

Response from Mr. Kull

Using protection when performing oral sex on a female is really up to you. Transmission through performing cunnilingus is highly unlikely, but since risk for HIV and other STI transmission is not absent, some people feel better taking extra precautions.

Saran wrap is an effective barrier against HIV. You can also cut a latex conodom up one side and open it into a square, then stretch it out between your mouth and the vagina. Dental dams can be purchased at specialty shops, like condomania.

If you chose to perform oral sex on a woman without protection, make sure that you do have good oral health, your partner isn't menstruating, and that there aren't STIs present in your partner's genitals or your mouth.


Mr. Kull; would you happen to know the answer?
Ryan your awesome..plz rd

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint