Whould Elisa test still be valid if blood was taken on Saturday and not tested until Tuesday?

Hello Mr Kull.

Thanks for reading my question.

I was wondering if I was to have my blood sample taken (for standard HIV 1/2 Elisa test) on a Saturday and my doctor was not able to send it out until Monday and it was not tested for HIV by the lab until Tuesday, would that by any way make the results not valid? I am asking because I have read that once HIV is out of the body, it starts to die.

Also, I have just recently read you should wait 90 days, or 12 weeks (84 days)for a valid test result. Is 84 days actually long enough or does the extra 6 days (to 90 days) make a big difference?

I found out about the window period AFTER I had spoken with my doctor and taken an HIV antibody test. For some reason HE told me that an HIV test at 30 days was very reliable. I am kinda of upset at him because I was so relieved and happy to get a negative result and now I find out I have to go through the same horrible stress once again. I am to get RE-tested on 6-21-03.

This really sucks!

Thank you for your help.

First of all, you should leave it up to the lab to ensure the reliability of your HIV test results. They are required to follow specific protocols to guarantee the reliability of your results. If there were a problem with the quality of the sample, the lab would have notified you. The lab I worked with could store samples up to a week before testing.

Don't worry about the difference between 3 months (approximately 90 days) and 12 weeks (which works out to be 84 days). Tests are likely to be accurate in about one month, and the difference between the two measurements of the window period (3 months vs. 12 weeks) isn't likely to have a significant impact on your results.

RMK

NEEDLE STICK..RISKS?
Worried Teen HELP.....