Biology Question making me think!

Doc Bob, I know you answer a ton of personal questions for people here but mine is general so hopefully mixing it up a bit. I have read some of your (and Ryan's) responses that say that the uninfected person's immune response is important in the spread of HIV. Is this saying that sometimes someone can be exposed to the virus but their immune system can take care of it before it spreads? If this is true I would suspect that science is trying to figure out how and why that happens and try and duplicate it in other people. In less of course I am way the hell off and I have no clue what I am talking about.....just the reason I didn't even consider Med school. You are the best, we all love you! Hope you had a great weekend!

Maybe you were too hasty about that medical school decision! Actually, we are studying many aspects of how and why HIV infects humans. Certainly there are genetic, immunologic, and virologic factors involved that will require a good deal of investigation to sort out. Yes, there are some folks who seem to be able to have multiple exposures to HIV without becoming infected. Its never too late for medical school, if youd like to try and help us figure this out! I think youd look great with a stethoscope hanging around your neck! Stay well.

Doctor Bob please give me courage to get tested!!! Part 2
An ode to Dr. Bob. Internet Doc, counsellor, and friend to all.