Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Red Throat
Jun 9, 2003

Dr. Bob, Thank you for taking your time to put out such good information on HIV infection.

I have been worrying myself sick about HIV infection after having some unprotected sex over in Thailand. I had one flu like experience (Cough,fever,runny nose) my last week in Asia, and then a minor post nasal drip type of cold two weeks later. I have been to various docs since I have been traveling a lot, and all seem to think it is some allergy type of thing, but I have continued to have a red (non-sore) throat, after taking Augmentin, and allegy medicines, which is worrying the heck out of me. I have no swollen nodes, or weight loss. I am waiting on the results of my HIV, HEP A, and B tests.

Is having a red back throat usually a sign of HIV infection. There is no pain or difficulty in swallowing. Thank you for your advice, and I will be sending you a donation.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

No, isolated symptoms like a red throat are not indicative of an HIV infection. However, if you had unprotected sex, you are at some risk for HIV and should have an HIV test 3 months after your last possible exposure. Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Quick Brief
Next
Dr. Bob, I need pro. medical advice.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.