Red Throat

Dr. Bob, Thank you for taking your time to put out such good information on HIV infection.

I have been worrying myself sick about HIV infection after having some unprotected sex over in Thailand. I had one flu like experience (Cough,fever,runny nose) my last week in Asia, and then a minor post nasal drip type of cold two weeks later. I have been to various docs since I have been traveling a lot, and all seem to think it is some allergy type of thing, but I have continued to have a red (non-sore) throat, after taking Augmentin, and allegy medicines, which is worrying the heck out of me. I have no swollen nodes, or weight loss. I am waiting on the results of my HIV, HEP A, and B tests.

Is having a red back throat usually a sign of HIV infection. There is no pain or difficulty in swallowing. Thank you for your advice, and I will be sending you a donation.

No, isolated symptoms like a red throat are not indicative of an HIV infection. However, if you had unprotected sex, you are at some risk for HIV and should have an HIV test 3 months after your last possible exposure. Good luck!

Quick Brief
Dr. Bob, I need pro. medical advice.