Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Amazing what anxiety can do to you
Jun 9, 2003

I was reading almost on daily base all the posts in this forum. I was scared to death that I might be infected after having a protected vaginal sex with a prostitute. In fact I was treating my self as if I was really infected. She gave me an unprotected oral sex for about 15 seconds, then put on a condom and had a vaginal sex for about 2 minutes. Rushed to the shower and had a real hot shower after that.

10 days after exposure, I started feeling all sort of the symptoms that people descried in this forum. I believe that my anxiety was somehow magnifying these symptoms and making me more sensitive toward diagnosing myself

67 days after exposure done a PCR test, 85 days after exposure done an ELISA HIV1-2 test and the result for both tests came on the same day as PCR test takes longer time. And guess what. All came out negative and all these symptoms disappeared on the same day. Now I feel that I am back to whom I was before this incidence.

I believe that the main cause for symptoms is anxiety, otherwise who can explain why all the symptoms vanished on the same day I got the results?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Symptoms that magically disappear when test results come back negative are actually very common and completely related to stress/anxiety. Congratulations! Youre HIV-negative! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please Dr. Bob (5th attempt) protected VS unprotected oral
Next
About You! If you feel like it!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.