Latest and greatest HIV tests

hi Dr Bob I thought you were cool until you hung it on Dr Phil ... all jokes aside - what is the latest and greatest on HIV testing - I had a test at 6 weeks the other day (negative) and the test stated that it was a new test (for Melbourne) ... Although I will be having another test at 3 months I was informed that the sensitivity of the new test was high and the current recommendations of 3 month testing was not upto date with this new tests and that 6 weeks was very accurate... Ps. when are you going to get your own talk show - best wishes and stay well.

Dont tell me that bald-headed bag of wind is popular in Australia!?! How can you trust a Rogaine failure guy like that?

OK, on to your question. Its true: Advances in testing technology can increase sensitivity. For instance, years ago, an HIV viral load test could only measure down to 10,000 copies. Improvements were made, and the cutoff dropped to 400-500 copies. Now, we have ultra-sensitive viral load tests measuring down to 25-50 copies.

I dont know which antibody test Melbourne is now using. Ill check it out on my next trip down under. For now, since the information posted here goes worldwide and not just to classy neighborhoods around Fitzroy, Ill continue to recommend a full 3 months.

My own talk show? Isnt this forum on The Body even better?

Gday Mate!

Worry SARS in my hometown and worry AIDS for myself
Bob, lets have some action, man!