Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Latest and greatest HIV tests
Jun 6, 2003

hi Dr Bob I thought you were cool until you hung it on Dr Phil ... all jokes aside - what is the latest and greatest on HIV testing - I had a test at 6 weeks the other day (negative) and the test stated that it was a new test (for Melbourne) ... Although I will be having another test at 3 months I was informed that the sensitivity of the new test was high and the current recommendations of 3 month testing was not upto date with this new tests and that 6 weeks was very accurate... Ps. when are you going to get your own talk show - best wishes and stay well.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Dont tell me that bald-headed bag of wind is popular in Australia!?! How can you trust a Rogaine failure guy like that?

OK, on to your question. Its true: Advances in testing technology can increase sensitivity. For instance, years ago, an HIV viral load test could only measure down to 10,000 copies. Improvements were made, and the cutoff dropped to 400-500 copies. Now, we have ultra-sensitive viral load tests measuring down to 25-50 copies.

I dont know which antibody test Melbourne is now using. Ill check it out on my next trip down under. For now, since the information posted here goes worldwide and not just to classy neighborhoods around Fitzroy, Ill continue to recommend a full 3 months.

My own talk show? Isnt this forum on The Body even better?

Gday Mate!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worry SARS in my hometown and worry AIDS for myself
Next
Bob, lets have some action, man!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.