Why not say condom sex is SAFE sex ?

Hi Dr,

I really can't understand why we cannot say sex with condom is SAFE sex, rather safer sex. Well condom will slip, tear and so on, but if we cannot have an absolute answer on this question, people will still keep on worrying even after a condom sex encounter. For myself, I have been through this. Furthermore, if condom sex is a SAFER sex only, that mean EVERY time we have sex, we will put ourself into risk ? Is it worth in doing that ?

Thanks

Latex condoms properly used are indeed SAFE. As you mention, there is always the rare possibility of the condom breaking or slipping off. In addition, the phrase "properly used" is also very important. You wouldnt believe how many folks really dont know how to use condoms properly i.e. latex versus animal product condoms; oil-based versus water-based lubricants; glow-in-the-dark sex-toy-type condoms versus latex condoms; when and how to apply a rubber; etc. Thats why we must say condom sex is SAFER rather than absolutely SAFE for preventing HIV, OK? The important thing for you to remember is that HIV cannot pass through a properly applied latex barrier.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob Please Help,,anxious in the Midwest
Dr. Bob Please Reply to My Question your my only hope