Dr. Bob Please Help,,anxious in the Midwest

First thanks for maintaining this website.. It good to know that their is someplace where we can get expert help and guidence from during this anxious time in our lives... First I'm 42, and tested Neg. in Aug. 02.. My question is, back in Jan. 03. I had unprotected oral sex both giving and recieving. This was followed by protected vaginal sex. Around the last week in March I started to fell a little crummy.. During the first week in Aprial I notice alot of white matter not just a coating but a built up this stuff that looked like cottaged cheese on the back and middle of my tongue. I believe it's my Lingual Tonsils?? The amount I saw had me pretty unnerved and anxious. I also had slightly swollen glands in my neck but couldn't find any others. The white is still present 7 weeks now, but to a much lesser degree. During this period I felt run down and had touble sleeping, which could be attributted to the anxiety I was feeling I quess or The gastritis that was recently diagnosed with in Aprial. I also dropped about 8lbs, 191-183. I had no fever through all this, but had some muscle and joint aches. Can you explain this white stuff?? Is it typically seen during the acute or later stages?? Your advise will be deeply appreciated... Sending out a check your cause.. Very Anxious in the Midwest...I need some guidance..

Hello Very Anxious in Midwest,

That stuff in your tonsils is most likely a tonsil infection (tonsillitis) or perhaps even post-nasal drip. It is not at all suggestive of HIV. Have your doctor check it out. If it looks like a bacterial infection, some antibiotics might clear it up very quickly.

"Protected" vaginal sex, assuming the latex condom was used properly, is considered safe. Oral sex carries an extremely small risk for HIV transmission. Since your potential exposure was January 2003, you can repeat your HIV test now if you are concerned.

Thanks for your donation to my foundation. Good luck and stay well.

Another Italian with a question
Why not say condom sex is SAFE sex ?