Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DOES ANTIVIRAL DRUG INTERFERE THE HIV ANTIBODY TEST(IFA)- AN ANXIOUS 26 YEAR OLD MALE
Jun 4, 2003

Hello Dr. Bob, Does antiviral drugs as of "FOSCARNET SODIUM INJECTION" AND "RECOMBINANT HURNAN INTERLEUKIN-2" interfere with the HIV antibody test? Would this postpone the development of antibody? I was on the above mentioned treatment in the 5th week from the possible exposure(protected vaginal sex with sex worker, however not sure about the quality of the condom since I was in China). The doctor prescribed this treatment based on his suspicion of possible infection of HSV-2 and HPV.

I tested negative(IFA TEST) at 4th week, 5th week, and 9th week. Possible ARS symptoms of swollen lymph glands at groin area both left & right side(in the 6th week until now 10th week), a few rashes(8th week unitl now 10th week) irregular shapes raised or under the skin on my arms, chest, groin area (2 to 3). With respect to all this, I am very anxious to know how definite is the 9th week negative result. I know the test is not definite until 3 month. As with most of the people here, I am very very very worried and the anxiety is driving me to the dark. Please give your honest comment on my case. By the way, I have noticed in the past post that the foundation is located in Los Altos, CA. This is the place where I came from, my hometown. I am now in China and somehow I feel warm inside by knowing this. Is it possible to make a donation via credit card? I would like to make a donation to home.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your doctor prescribed Foscarnet and Interleukin-2 for "suspicion of possible HSV-2 and HPV?" Really? OK, first thing to do is find a different doctor, as this is not recommended treatment.

Second, will these therapies affect your HIV antibody tests? No, they will not. You are, however, correct that although a 9-week negative test is encouraging, a result cannot be relied upon as definitive until the 3-month mark.

Los Altos is your hometown? How could you ever leave? Its been absolutely stunning here of late. Gorgeous, clear skies, sunny days, and exquisite warm starlight nights. Maybe its time you came back for a visit, grab a smoothie or Starbucks, and take a stroll down Main Street.

Sorry The Foundation is not set up to take credit card donations at this time. From China, a direct wire money transfer would probably be the most convenient method of making a donation. The best way to make a direct wire transfer to our foundation is to follow these wiring instructions:

Mellon Bank Pittsburgh, P.A. ABA # 043000261 Credit ML Account Number 101-1730 Further Credit to: Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation Account # 830-04C48 For international transfers add: Swift number MELN US 3P

Best of luck. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I feel Like I gave my life over to Him
Next
RESPECT AND WOOO HOOO

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.