Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom Broke and posibilities
May 29, 2003

Two years ago I had a protected vaginal intercourse with an aids sick man. But, unfortunatelly, when we stopped, I saw that the condom was broken, Please, give me some information. I am very worried about that, How common it is that a condom breakage results in HIV transmission? Is there a that holds that kind of information. Best regards and thank you,

Response from Mr. Kull

The likelihood of HIV transmission during condom breakage will depend on a variety of factors. One of the most important variables is the extent of mucous membrane exposure to HIV infected fluids. It is difficult to judge from your question how significant the fluid exposure was, but since there is the potential for exposure in your case and your partner was a known carrier of HIV, you should be tested to rule out HIV infection.

The CDC states that the majority of condom breakages do not result in transmission. This is partially true because condoms can potentially provide sufficient protection even if there is a break or tear. It primarily depends on the extent and location of breakage and the exposure to fluids.

RMK

Previous
playing the odds
Next
Testing inside "Window Period"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.