Followup to Sponge Lady (Prostitute's Deception)

Dr. Bob:

I wrote you back in early March concerning my experience: a prostitute who was hiding menstruation with a sponge, a suspect condom and a liberal soaking of blood.

My followup: I had PEP starting 10 days after the incident. A week after the PEP,I had a negative PCR by DNA and a negative ELISA. Had a negative ELISA at 9.5 weeks, and just got back my negative 3-month ELISA, which I consider confirmatory...and hope you do, too.

I hope you will post this for two reasons:

1. I was convinced that a massive coating of a prostitute's menses was an automatic infection. I truly think the condom leaked, and I have genital warts, a handy avenue for transmission. This goes to show we should not make such assumptions.

2. During my window period, I had every symptom in the book, except fever. A couple night sweats, pronounced fatigue, diagnosed oral thrush, cartwheeling blood sugars that put me in the hospital for three days (I'm a diabetic), rashes, you name it. In other words, I was sure I was infected. Goes to show we cannot diagnose HIV by symptoms!

Also, this experience has changed my life. I am a donor to AIDS causes and am awaiting assignment as a volunteer at the local AIDS clinic. I now realize that the fight against AIDS doesn't just include the government, CDC and WHO. WE need to be part of it on the local level.

Bless you for the work you do, Doctor Bob. Can I get a small woo-hoo out of you? I feel like I can't ask for a big WOO-HOO until this epidemic is banished from the universe.

Gratefully, Mike

Hey Mike,

Why just ask for a small WOO-HOO when you deserve a great big fat one? WOOOOO-HOOOOOO! Congratulations! And thank you for your efforts to combat HIV/AIDS.

Once we do banish the epidemic from the universe, well do much more than WOO-HOO! Perhaps even a WHOOP-DE-DOO?!? Stay well.

Dr. Bob, I took your advice....BUT
HIV in the gym?