Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Followup to Sponge Lady (Prostitute's Deception)
May 28, 2003

Dr. Bob:

I wrote you back in early March concerning my experience: a prostitute who was hiding menstruation with a sponge, a suspect condom and a liberal soaking of blood.

My followup: I had PEP starting 10 days after the incident. A week after the PEP,I had a negative PCR by DNA and a negative ELISA. Had a negative ELISA at 9.5 weeks, and just got back my negative 3-month ELISA, which I consider confirmatory...and hope you do, too.

I hope you will post this for two reasons:

1. I was convinced that a massive coating of a prostitute's menses was an automatic infection. I truly think the condom leaked, and I have genital warts, a handy avenue for transmission. This goes to show we should not make such assumptions.

2. During my window period, I had every symptom in the book, except fever. A couple night sweats, pronounced fatigue, diagnosed oral thrush, cartwheeling blood sugars that put me in the hospital for three days (I'm a diabetic), rashes, you name it. In other words, I was sure I was infected. Goes to show we cannot diagnose HIV by symptoms!

Also, this experience has changed my life. I am a donor to AIDS causes and am awaiting assignment as a volunteer at the local AIDS clinic. I now realize that the fight against AIDS doesn't just include the government, CDC and WHO. WE need to be part of it on the local level.

Bless you for the work you do, Doctor Bob. Can I get a small woo-hoo out of you? I feel like I can't ask for a big WOO-HOO until this epidemic is banished from the universe.

Gratefully, Mike

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Mike,

Why just ask for a small WOO-HOO when you deserve a great big fat one? WOOOOO-HOOOOOO! Congratulations! And thank you for your efforts to combat HIV/AIDS.

Once we do banish the epidemic from the universe, well do much more than WOO-HOO! Perhaps even a WHOOP-DE-DOO?!? Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, I took your advice....BUT
Next
HIV in the gym?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.