Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why would you scare us like this!!
May 28, 2003

Dr. Bob,

All of us appreciate your hard wok and dedication to this site, but I must tell you that a recentt post contradicts eveything you say about the 3 month window period. A guy claims his boy friend was diagnosed with hiv/aids in 01 and that he repeatedly tested negative for many years after his only possible exposure (see below). How is this possible??? Why post such a scary question and not address this in your responce.

Thanks.

My lover found out he was hiv + in 01 we had been together for 3 years never had safe sex i got tested 9 months later i'm -. Since then we have had safe sex no way i could have gotten it after he found out so my question is 9 months that is long enough right, he know where he got his from his lover in 1990 he saids he got tested all the time after they broken up and they was all -. when he found out, he had aids so his doc told him he been having it for about 10 years so was the test back then not as good as the ones they have today should i be worried i have read all over this site and the longest time it says to wait is 6 months and i waited 9 months.... we have another friend he has hiv and he said the same thing he got it from his ex in 1989 and after they broke up he got tested for about 3 years and then in 93 he tested + and he says that his ex was the only one who could have gave it to him.... no one else...Please Answer this for me. oh by the way my lover is doing very well meds are working for him t cells are way up and V.L is way down .

Hi,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. A 6-month test would give you a definitive result. Your 9-month test confirms you are indeed HIV-negative. I wouldnt worry too much about trying to figure out what happened in the past. Time only goes in one direction forward. So your lover is positive and doing well on medications with T-cells up and viral load down. Thats very encouraging. Youre absolutely negative from your 9-month negative test, and thats very good news as well. I wish you both the very best.

Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Oh yeah, thats just what I am here to do: Add additional fears to the ones you guys dream up and write to me about. Relax! As your question states, "A guy CLAIMS . . . " Why is that such a scary question? My response was: "I wouldnt worry too much about trying to figure out what happened in the past. Time only goes in one direction forward . . . . " I chose not to address the "claims," because obviously there is no way to document what actually happened. This couple is doing well. The positive partner is responding well to medications and his lover has remained HIV-negative. These are important facts they have to deal with. My statements do not contradict any of my previous statements about window periods or the validity of HIV testing. Sorry for any "scare" my response may have caused, but I do feel you just misinterpreted my reply. Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
iam so scared for my family
Next
Thanks & Donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.